- ASTM D5966, 2013 Edition, Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Engine Oils for Roller Follower Wear in Light-Duty Diesel Engine
- ASTM E177, 2013 Edition, Standard Practice for Use of the Terms Precision and Bias in ASTM Test Methods
- ASTM E678, 2007 Edition Reaffirmed in 2013, Standard Practice for Evaluation of Scientific or Technical Data
- ASTM E1169, 2013A Edition, Standard Practice for Conducting Ruggedness Tests
- ASTM E1488, 2012(e1) Edition (1 Editorial Correction), Standard Guide for Statistical Procedures to Use in Developing and Applying Test Methods
- ASTM E2554, 2013 Edition, Standard Practice for Estimating and Monitoring the Uncertainty of Test Results of a Test Method Using Control Chart Techniques
If you'd like to see more standards on this topic, please review our Document Center List of Standards on Test Conditions and Procedures in General.
You'll notice that two of these standards were listed on our previous blog on testing standards back in May. While normally many U.S. Standards Developing Organizations (SDO's) follow the ANSI guidelines and review their publications on a five-year cycle, sometimes public comments and other concerns will push a document through the process more often.
ASTM Standards are used globally and by many industry sectors. It is not unusual to see an ASTM with more revision activity than usual. The ASTM Standards are narrow in focus and normally fairly short. Historically, these publications are concerned with either a particular test or a particular material. This means that consensus is reached more quickly, allowing for a faster revision process than many other SDO's.
On the other hand, the ASTM E678 is an example of a standard that is not being impacted by changing technology or other forces. In this case, the publication has been reviewed at the five-year mark and has been found to be just fine the way it is. Thus, the reaffirmation.
As you can see, it is impossible to predict when and how often any given standard will be revised. Because Document Center tracks hundreds of thousands of standards from around the world, our database is constantly being updated. We use this "intelligence" about standards in general to allow us to provide you with notification and other services about those standards that are applicable to you. We're your Standards Experts!